Thursday, February 28, 2013

Nightlights - fused owl for Lara

Another very late Xmas gift....

After the first firing, both nightlights were flat.  I kept the abstract one flat,
but wanted to try making the owl light curved.


Curved owl light in the dark.



Daytime view of the curved owl nightlight.

As always, more lessons learned:

  1. First attempt at curving the panel was on a metal dish of unknown origin.... stainless steel is OK, but this one was not guaranteed steel.... and i ended up freaking myself out thinking of all the awful chemicals i might be unleashing on my house and stopped that firing.  Next time, no messing around like that.
  2. If using a ceramic (unglazed) bowl.... ventilation is key.  (I broke that bowl in half -- but it worked anyway!!)
  3. This nightlight, so far, seems to be of a more decent weight for the glue I used.  I've not heard of this one falling apart just yet....

No comments: